Unlocking Your Future Career Options: A Challenge-Based Career Guidance Online Workshop
This webinar is a collaboration between Kilkenny Education Centre, Cork Education Support Centre, Waterford Education Support Centre, West Cork Education Support Centre and Wexford Education Support Centre.
This webinar is suitable for Post Primary teachers, Guidance Counsellors, Study Skills Co-Ordinators and parents/guardians. Rather than relying on the age-old question of ‘What do you want to be?’, challenge-based career guidance asks the question ‘What challenges in the world do you want to solve?’ and ‘What do you need to learn to do it?’. Given the looming CAO deadline, in this timely online workshop, Fidelma will show how using a set of career challenge cards and skill-based cards is an invaluable resource, and an exciting and practical approach which can tap into the student’s core motivation and values. Join the workshop and see for yourself as the challenge and skill cards help students realise exciting career areas that interest them, opening up new pathways they may not have considered.
This webinar will enable participants to be;
- Able to sift through a range of career areas and classify them according to their interest level,
- Motivated by the range of career options available to them, within their selected interest areas,
- Equipped with research tools to enable them to identify job opportunities that link into their values and chosen challenge areas,
- More highly engaged in meaningful career conversations that matter to them, thereby enabling parents/guardians and Guidance Counsellors to assist them more effectively, at a more advanced level, and
- More excited about their futures, motivating them to apply themselves more effectively to their work.
Dr. Fidelma Healy Eames
Dr. Fidelma Healy Eames, PhD, MSc. Ed, B.Ed. (Galway), has a long background in teaching, learning and teacher education. Her enduring interest is making learning easier and enabling young people to pursue fulfilling futures. Passionate about supporting teachers and enabling learners to develop the mindset and skills to take ownership for their own learning, she is Director and Lead Educator with Study and Careers. In 2017, Fidelma completed a qualification in Psychometric Science with the British Psychological Society, equipping her as an accredited tester (Ability, Personality and Occupational) with follow-up courses completed in career coaching. Author of Switching on for Learning: A Student Guide to Exam and Career Success, this has become a core text for teachers, parents/guardians and students interested in independent learning and career guidance. In 2020, she developed an online ‘learning to learn’ programme used across second-level schools. Newly-revised for 2022 based on teacher and student feedback, it’s now available with free previews here.
|Course date||28-11-2023 7:00 pm|
|Course End Date||28-11-2023 8:15 pm|
|Cut off date||28-11-2023 7:00 pm|
|Speaker||Dr. Fidelma Healy Eames, Study and Careers|
|Location||Online (via Zoom)|