Becoming and Developing as a Teacher Educator - The Craft of Educating Educators
Are you curious/interested in becoming a teacher educator with Kilkenny Education Centre?
The role of the teacher educator is an exciting and privileged one requiring a host of bespoke skills. This is a two-week face-to-face programme (Tuesday 3rd October and Tuesday 10th October 2023, 5 - 7p.m. each evening) designed for those interested in developing and working as teacher educators in the area of Continuing Professional Development (CPD). Practical and research-based guidance will root the work of the teacher educator in the principles of adult learning, and, more specifically, in the professional learning needs of teachers and how they learn best.
Consequently, participants will explore the;
- Key skills of the teacher educator,
- Characteristics of quality CPD provision (design and facilitation),
- Key strategies and optimal environments to enable teacher learning,
- Pedagogies for teacher learning with practical examples of activities, and
- Hallmarks of effective presentation and facilitation.
Workshops will allow for dynamic discussion generated by key insights from experience and the research. This programme is ideal for Primary and Post Primary teachers who are;
- Considering creating content for teacher CPD,
- Considering delivering CPD to teachers through Kilkenny Education Centre, or in-house at school, and/or
- Already involved in the above but would like to learn more.
Dr. Ciara O' Donnell
Dr. Ciara O’ Donnell is the former National Director of the Professional Development Service for Teachers (PDST), Ireland’s largest national cross-sectoral support service for teachers and school leaders. She has held a number of senior leadership positions in Irish teacher education since 2005, spanning the domains of curriculum, DEIS, school leadership and CPD policy, research and design. Ciara is now an independent consultant, specialising in teacher education, curriculum and school leadership, while also working as a part-time lecturer with Maynooth University. Her research explores the experiences of teachers seconded to work as teacher educators, their professional learning, identities and career pathways.
|Course date||03-10-2023 5:00 pm|
|Course End Date||10-10-2023 7:00 pm|
|Cut off date||03-10-2023 9:00 am|
|Speaker||Dr. Ciara O' Donnell|
|Location||Kilkenny Education Centre (R95 RH97)|